Growing up with a rather unusual name (do you know any other girls named Allyn?) was difficult at times (Are you a boy? Named after your Dad? Grandfather? Your parents must have really wanted a boy! All.....what? I've never heard of that before!), but it made me realize that I want my kids to have names that aren't completely mainstream. Something a little unique. Don't worry, I'm not talking about Apple or Pilot Inspectkor, or any of the other weird celebrity baby names.
Elliott is a name Matt and I love for a girl. Taken. Other great names that we now can't use (unless we have a falling out with their parents):
Ellison
Emerson
Everett
Harrison
Noah
It's currently the trend to give your baby a less mainstream name, and that makes it hard to find something unique. Because now unique IS mainstream. Or it's getting there anyways. So maybe Jane and Mary will be really unique names in about 20 years. Or I could always consult this book:

Then there are the names that are spelled differently to make them more unique - like Karsyn, Kamryn, Ashli, etc. Allyn. Yeah. The pressure is building...soon there won't be any names left! And then we'll have to resort to Sage Moodblood. Whoops - already taken by Sylvester Stallone.
Allyn, you crack me up. Sage Moodblood was really growing on me. I'm thinking that when you do decide to take the plunge, the baby plunge that is, I will call your in utero child, Sage. Anyway, I just found your blog...and I'm super-pumped. I'm adding you to my blog list so I will remember to check. I have a hunch that I won't forget to check!
ReplyDeleteHey Allyn! I found your blog and your name post made me smile. Please know that Elliot is not "taken"... use away. It is too good of a name to keep to one little girl. Hope your doing well and maybe we'll see you soon!
ReplyDeleteHa! Lindsey Jones and I both lamented the loss of the name Elliot last year. Your little Elliot is so cute and looks like such a sweet, happy baby! Must be the name ;) I hope we run into y'all soon!
ReplyDelete