5.06.2009

Can I get a witness?

Last night in bible study we talked about witnessing. This is something I'm terrible at - and I honestly can't remember the last time I tried to share the Gospel with someone. That's pretty bad. Very bad, actually. It's scary to broach the topic of religion with someone. You worry what they will think of you, how you will be perceived, if they will still think you're cool afterwards (assuming they ever did to begin with). Our friend Ben made a great point. If the thought of witnessing is met with fear and anxiety - then that is a sign that my identity is rooted in something other than Christ. For me that is usually being a people pleaser. If I am trying to please everyone all the time, then I have lost my purpose for being here - which is to be Christ in the world. If my goal is to please Christ, then I should be yearning to spread the good news of the Gospel. I would like to say that it is Christ who defines me, but it is a daily struggle to lay down the ways that I often define myself (i.e. having the acceptance and approval of my peers, family, co-workers, etc.) and establish my identity in Christ. (Using the term "daily struggle" would imply that this is something I'm conscious of on a daily basis- which I definitely am not).

No comments:

Post a Comment