I am rapidly becoming the most indecisive person to walk the earth. Not only am I indecisive, but I am an indecisive perfectionist, which is a terrible combination for the following reasons: 1. I can't make simple decisions.
Example: Today I took some towels to be monogrammed, and I literally stood there for 10 minutes trying to pick out which font I wanted to use. Diamond, or Fancy? I would decide on one, tell the clerk, wait until she was in the middle of asking me another question, and then blurt out "Wait! No! I want to change it to Fancy Upright!" I did that 3 times.
2. It's hard for me to buy things without a second opinion.
Example: I have been known to spend 45 minutes in the dressing room debating whether or not I really want the shirt I'm trying on. The whole time I'm staring at myself in the mirror I'm wishing my mom or sister, or heck, even Matt, were there to provide a little feedback. Inevitably, I'll buy it, only to get it home and decide a week later that I'm not that crazy about it, and take it back.
3. Since I'm a perfectionist, I'm always on the lookout for that perfect thing. This usually results in multiple purchases, numerous trips to the same store, and considerable angst.
Example: In my quest to find the perfect shower curtain for our guest bath, I have ordered 2 online (only to return them as soon as I got them), purchased 1 from Walmart (returned), and 3 from Target (2 of which I am returning). Each of these purchases was made on a separate occasion. I've also spent about 3 hours online searching for that elusive perfect shower curtain. **Note: I'd like to mention that this decision wouldn't be so difficult if the bathroom in our rental was not the color of putty.
4. I'm always on the lookout for something better.
Example: I went to about 10 stores looking for the perfect journal. I finally bought one, but now every time I enter Target or World Market, I come across a journal that is so much better than the one I currently have. Usually I can refrain from buying said replacement item, but that is not always the case. That's why I currently have 2 wallets and 3 address books. (I keep the others waiting in the wings so I can switch back when I change my mind again.)
im exactly the same way so i feel your anguish ten times over ! the only difference i never ever make the decision so the question always lags in my head until eventually i get on to something new and 4 years later our house and my closet is still bare searching for that perfect style, perfect color.... but i never would have guessed it from you ! you always seem spur of the moment ! so cute ! perfect decision! i always want you to help me shop and decorate my house when i grow up :) that offer still stands by the way :)
ReplyDeleteAmy - Thanks! You are tiny and cute.
ReplyDeleteLindsey - Just say the word and I'll write the foreword for your first book. Ha. Just kidding. And you are tiny and cute too.
Haha! You are too funny, Allyn! I need to let Jason read this so he doesn't get so frustrated with my indecisiveness:) I was the same way with our shower curtain but ended up giving up and buying one at Target. Now it has moved on to window treatments!
ReplyDelete