9.24.2009

Somewhere over the rainbow

On my way home from work yesterday I saw the end of a rainbow. It was really faint, but it ended in the marsh beside the Johns Island bridge. It was really cool - I've never been close enough to a rainbow to actually see where it ended. Sadly there was no pot of gold.

When I got home I saw another rainbow. This one was really beautiful; unfortunately my camera phone did not do it justice:


It got me thinking about The Flood (is that supposed to be in caps?). I wonder if rainbows existed before God used one as a sign of the covenant he was making with us, or if the rainbow referenced in Genesis was the first rainbow Noah and his family had ever seen.

8 Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: 9 "I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you 10 and with every living creature that was with you—the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you—every living creature on earth. 11 I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth."
12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."
Genesis 9: 8-16

Either way, it shows God's appreciation for beauty. I mean, he could have given Noah a mud pie or a weird shaped rock and told him it was the sign of the promise he was making, but he didn't. He used a rainbow.

On a different (yet still related) note, have you seen this video? AMAZING.

1 comment: