Do you know what a shank is? There are several meanings. Up until about 5 years ago, when I heard the word "shank", I thought of someone getting pantsed. In middle school we lived in constant fear of getting "shanked" in gym class - having someone yank your pants down in front of everyone. At my first job out of college some of my coworkers were talking about being shanked. I chimed in with, "Oh yeah. When I was in middle school people got shanked all the time." They gave me a funny look and asked if I was from Compton. Ha. No, not really, but I'm sure that is what they were thinking. Because the kind of shank they were talking about, was the homemade weapon prisoners make.
A shiv (from the Romani word chiv) is a slang term for any sharp or pointed implement used as a knife-like weapon, made from metal. However, the word in practical usage is frequently used when referring to an improvised bladed weapon. Shivs are commonly made by inmates in prisons across the world. A shiv can be anything from a glass shard with fabric wrapped around one end to form a handle, to a razorblade stuck in the end of a toothbrush. Some inmates have even sharpened the ends of pork chop bones to make them into weapons.
A shiv (from the Romani word chiv) is a slang term for any sharp or pointed implement used as a knife-like weapon, made from metal. However, the word in practical usage is frequently used when referring to an improvised bladed weapon. Shivs are commonly made by inmates in prisons across the world. A shiv can be anything from a glass shard with fabric wrapped around one end to form a handle, to a razorblade stuck in the end of a toothbrush. Some inmates have even sharpened the ends of pork chop bones to make them into weapons.
Synonyms include shank and chib.
Source: Wikkipedia

I am very familiar with this particular meaning now, thanks to my loyal following of MSNBC's program Lock Up.
Anyways, back to the matter at hand. Matt and I were eating dinner the other night when we happened to look over and see this lying on the floor:
This is what's left of Luna's Nylabone. For those of you without pets, this is what it used to look like:
Should we be worried?
Seems like Luna may be a little unhappy at home. I would sleep with one eye open.
ReplyDelete